Occupational Hygiene is the science (and art) dedicated to the anticipation, recognition, evaluation and control of health hazards in the working environment. Our objective is the protection of worker health, safety and well-being and the safeguarding of the general community. Workplace health hazards are normally divided into the following broad categories: chemical, biological, physical and ergonomic.
Our Occupational Hygienists are qualified to recognise and evaluate a wide range of hazards that may be encountered in the workplace. These include: Hazardous Substances (e.g. dusts, gases, vapours mists, fumes and bulk materials), noise and vibration, lighting, thermal stress, biological hazards, ionising and non-ionising radiation, and musculo-skeletal stressors.
Having evaluated the hazards, we can assist with the development and implementation of practical and cost effective corrective measures to eliminate or minimise risks.
The control measures are based on the hierarchy of controls. The hierarchy of controls is a list of measures, in priority order, that can be used to eliminate or minimise/control exposure to hazardous agents/processes. The hierarchy of controls, in descending order, are:
- Engineering Controls
- Administrative Controls
- Personal Protective Equipment
In practice, it is often necessary to use a combination of the different approaches to control exposure to a hazardous process or agent.
SERVICES & EXPERIENCE
Our Occupational Hygienists are qualified members of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists, Inc. and experienced in a wide range of occupational hygiene assessments. The range of services provided includes:
- Assessment of airborne dusts, vapours, fumes and mists from a variety of manufacturing and industrial processes.
- Assessment of mechanical ventilation systems.
- Development of personal protective equipment programs.
- Noise surveys and the development of hearing conservation programmes.
- Occupational health & safety training programs.
- Health & Safety audits.
- Indoor air quality assessments.
- Cooling tower risk assessment.
- Hazardous Chemicals assessments (workplace substances and dangerous goods).
- Non-ionising radiation assessments.
- Confined space assessments.
- Ergonomic Assessments.
- Manual Handling Assessments
- Workplace Health & Safety Assessments
- MSDS preparation and review
- Asbestos monitoring and clearance
- Laboratory analysis
For further information regarding occupational hygiene assessments contact:
Philip Hibbs on 0418 356 784
Dan Le Van on 0419 239 720